1. Is this how you imagined your life would be?
At what point? Like how I imagined my life at age 7? Or how I imagined it last year? Either way, no. As much as I want to say "I am always open to the ever changing road in my life," that would be an utter lie. You all know that. I would classify myself as a "very frazzled type A" personality. Meaning, I'm not the perfectly put together, on time, organized, highly motivated, logistically blessed type A person you may think of (just look in my closet, or have me plan a day trip) but I'm certainly not laid back. In fact, I'm slightly allergic to things not going my way and/or change (I blame it on being the baby of a family with a parent the same way. Looooove you dad! - toe tap on the head) This is the type of allergies that Benedryl doesn't fix, and sometimes Excedrin Migraine does...when one is not pregnant.
Because of this, I had my life planned out at an early age...like "age 7" early. I just assumed I would marry a man with a flexible schedule, he'd probably be a Mater Dei alum (my high school, go Wildcats!) and after going to a Hoosier college, we'd settle back down in Evansville...specifically, in a blue house off the road by my parents. My husband would make a path through the woods to my parents house so my kids could come and go as they please. I'd have a minimum of 5 kids, a minivan, and I'd probably be a soccer mom marine biologist/dolphin trainer (for all those dolphins in Evansville.) I'd have a room dedicated to Orca whales in primary colors (I was quite the designer,) and my biggest stress would be figuring out a sensible mom hair cut with my thick horse hair. Oddly, I wasn't overly specific or anything, so I don't know how I got so far off the mark. (though, I am still looking for that perfect "sensible haircut," suggestions appreciated.)
Needless to say, life isn't like that, nor would I ever say I would take it if offered (sorry mom and dad.) And as much as my life and marriage isn't what I thought it would be even on my wedding day, or even a few months ago, I'm very thankful for what it is. My husband pushes me and challenges me (which, with my "allergy" to change, I need this) and the Lord certainly knew what He was doing. Good thing He's sovereign, eh?
2. Name one good deed you did that went unseen.
Doesn't this go against the whole concept of a good deed? Altruism and all that good stuff?
One time, I told a hilarious joke. Danny never laughed (therefore, obviously, it went unseen...or misunderstood) but I just KNOW it made his day. He's so lucky to have me as his wife. You're WELCOME, Daniel.
Also, one time, I sent this picture to my sisters:
I'm pretty sure it made their day and cleared some things up.
3. What’s your drink of choice when out with girlfriends?
Beer. I'm German, there really isn't another choice. I'm pregnant now, and though I don't go by the whole "a glass of alcohol will surely screw up your kid" American mantra (the French do it, and they are just fine...mostly) I stick to Orange juice. For some reason, my babies love it in utero...like, "a gallon a day" love it.
4. How did your blog come about?
I lived a country away from my family, and I wanted a way to record our lives for ourselves and for others. During bed rest, this blog served as a great blessing. It kept me from going crazy, and also from not watching too much trashy TV.
5. Name something you’ve learned about yourself that has surprised you.
I guess I can't say that it "surprises" me, I did adopt a whale behind my dad's back in 1994 and my middle school class did call me Jessie Spano, but I stuffed that side of me away long ago (insert me dreamily looking to the side.)
I found any kind of environmentalism ridiculous. I couldn't bring together the two ideas of living for God, and caring for the world. I felt like I would be worshiping two different things instead of worshiping one and also obeying Him. Living on the west coast (and specifically sermons from Richard Dahlstrom that God used to lead me to some major conviction) helped me become who I should be instead of who I thought I should be, and I learned to be a little bit hippy (more "natural" than hippy, but hippy tends to be more understood.) Not any more hippy than most people in my generation now days, but I'm miles from where I was before moving out west and becoming a mom there. Go on and tell me I can't nurse in public...I dare you ;)
6. What hobbies do you have that you don’t mention on your blog?
I just took up sewing in February. I made an apron once in Ms. Larson's home ec class circa 1998. It was the easiest pattern she could fine...it was also made upside down by your's truly. So I thought to myself, Jaci, remember how you screwed that up? You should probably take that up again.
Also, painting. I don't do this as much now that I have little hands everywhere. In general, being creative is greatly therapeutic for me. So whether I'm painting or sewing, I'm automatically in a better mood. See? Art therapy teaches more than you know in life!
7. What do you love about yourself?
That part of my elbow that looks like elephant skin. Beautiful.
That, and my comfort around children. I've never found one that intimidates me and I don't enjoy (knock on wood) so it makes meeting new moms (and their kids) much easier. Also, it is much easier to help a mom out if you feel comfortable (and find much joy) in helping out with their kids.
8. If money were no question, I’d purchase…
9. What’s your biggest struggle in life?
Isn't that cute...like there is only one. Sweet, sweet sheltered person who thought up these questions (gentle head pet.)
It changes by the seasons of my life (and there is never just one, silly) but right now, new to a city, it's the sense of community. We are still looking for a church, we are still looking for friends (lifelong couple friends in our city to be exact,) and I am still waiting to feel at home. We'll figure it out, because if there is something my 7 year old dreams taught me it's that, it may not be the "blue house with a fluffy hairdo" kind of life, but it is even better than we can imagine.
Now, my turn to tag! How about Courtney (because it's always a good time to get to know your family a bit more) Krystal and Martha. It's like an adult chain letter, only this time no new underwear, sorry ladies (tell me I'm not the only one that was promised this by those letters.)
No comments:
Post a Comment