Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Indiana, oh Indiana...

Things I miss from Indiana:

1.AIR CONDITIONING (and other summer cooling off things - pools, etc.) This is crazy. Nobody should tell a pregnant Freeman to sit in heat this hot. I am a firm believer that central air is worth it, even if it is for only a day a year, because that one day...man.
I gave serious sass to a Green Peace man today. Who does that and sleeps at night? A pregnant Freeman girl, that's who! Here's the thing: He opened with the question (on a hot sidewalk in the sun, while I was trying to get my McDonald's soft serve) "Are you a good person? If you are, you'll listen to me." I told him, "I'm not sold by guilt, so I'm now not going to listen to you, thank you!" My friends with me were a bit taken back and told my boss right away for a good laugh. Maybe the pearls threw them off. Which brings me to what I miss number 2!

2. Pearls (and other Freeman paraphernalia - bows, monogrammed fancy pants, polka dots, monograms, argyle, etc.) However, one good thing about this is that I stand out like a sore thumb. One of my boys in my class has a mother who reminds me of a Freeman. (We had a long conversation today about cleanliness and how her kids now freaking out if shoes are left on in the house by company...priceless!) How does she get Asher to wear his cute Crewcutter argyle sweater vest, critter shorts or plaid pants with cute old man sandals? "Ashy, you get to go to school and show Mrs. Jaci your outfit!" Classic.
Seattle children have their own mix of style called "completely mismatching." Ever see a child in a blue plaid skirt with a purple polka dot and floral top with green socks and lil' kelly (which I love) shoes...or rain boats, depending on weather, no fancy pants, and NO BOWS!!! Crazy talk. Sometimes it can be super cute (minus the no fancy pants and no bow,) and sometimes...notsomuch. Now friends at work can point out the "Seattle child" though. Classic.

3. My friends and family: That speaks for itself. I just never imagined being pregnant without my mama and sisters there with me. Who's going to watch Baby Story with me? Who's going to help me register? Who's going to help me paint? Danny won't want to be working on stripes and monograms in the nursery, nor do I expect him to. Luckily, I have such a great family that I feel like they are closer to me than they are...if only I felt like fellow pearl wearers and an AC unit were just as close.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...