Saturday, January 9, 2010

Update

So, yesterday was a big day for the parental unit Moore. First, I had one of my weekly appointments. So far, I have been holding steady - 1 cm dilated, 80 percent effaced. It's our little girl that keeps trying to make progress...slowly dropping in stages. When I was in the hospital 6 weeks ago, she was between a -2 and -3, now she is a -1. If these numbers don't mean anything to you, it just means she's not floating around and doing flips anymore, the higher the number, the further down she is. So...she just keeps trying to sneak down. Little stinker.
So, everything checked out at my appointment yesterday, I am 33 weeks, and at 36 they will take me off the medication. She said she didn't expect me to go much further than 36/37 weeks, but also that Ruthie has a mind of her own, so who knows. All of this was great news...and then I let her know that I was having contractions ever 3 min or so even during that appointment. She noticed them while measuring my belly, so she hooked me up to monitors for awhile. Lo and behold, I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes, and they were too intense and long to be considered braxton hicks, but I have been having these for awhile, and I'm no further along. So, she gave me a shot of terbutaline (which makes you feel like you had just snacked on a pound of espresso beans) and sent me on my way with a new prescription.
That appointment ended up being 2.5 hours long, so I got out in time to meet Daddy Moore for our official birthing center tour. Sooooo fun. I imagine a Seattle birthing center tour guide is a bit of a different genre than the Midwestern type - a wee bit more serious, and as Danny put it "probably an ex-hippy." I asked where my husband can sleep if I am in the birthing suite for an extended amount of time. She seemed VERY offended and said that my "birthing partner" (ie; my HUSBAND, come on, lady...you can say it, I won't be offended) should NEVER be sleeping while I'm laboring. Now don't get me wrong, I am going to want Danny to coach and support me. But, what if I am the only fluke in my family that DOESN'T have clinically diagnosed precipitous labors? What if I labor for 12 - 36 hours (compared to the 30 min my sisters labor)...I'm sorry, but I will be cranky enough, I really would love Danny to sleep so he can not be cranky as well. But then again, I will also be in a totally different mood at that time.
The whole tour (plus the whole contractions shenanigans) made us realize how quickly our little Ruthie is going to be here! Personally, I became teary eyed when they talked about what will happen when the baby arrives, where they will place her, how she will room in with us (if she arrives on time, that is,) etc. But, the reality set in with Daddy Moore as well. I think he finally realized that we only have a few weekends left before our lives are taken over by the littlest big thing ever!
I think about her all the time, and it makes me just wriggle with excitement and nervousness. He, on the other hand, compares it to Christmas. Even as a kid, he would never think of Christmas morning too much before it got there, or he would just be anxious. The difference between the two? 1: everything 2: we KNOW when Christmas is coming 3: Christmas isn't that painful...they don't call Christmas "labor." Just saying...but I'll let Danny be reminded of that tomorrow...during our birthing class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...